..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

10/7/13

Autumn Yams

I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of the overly sweet candied yams that get passed around during the fall and winter months. This has just the right amount of tart to stop the yams from being too sweet.

Ingredients:
5 lbs orange-fleshed yams, peeled & cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup pure maple syrup
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook cubed yams in the water until they just begin to soften (about 3 minutes). Drain and transfer to a 13×9 baking dish.

In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add orange juice and maple syrup.  Return to a gentle boil and simmer until it thickens just a bit, 3-5 minutes. Pour mixture over yams.

Bake yams uncovered just until tender, about 30 minutes, stirring gently every 10-15 minutes. Mix in cranberries. Continue baking until yams are very tender and juices form a thick glaze around the yams, about 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven, stir, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment