..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

9/9/13

Crockpot Apple Butter

Aaron loves apple butter. I hate buying it at the store though because they taste so strongly of clove that you lose the apple. This is a good compromise.

Ingredients:
Approximately 3 lb. apples ( make sure 1/2 are Granny Smith )
Gala , Fugi, Or Granny Smith
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
dash of salt
3/4 cup water or fresh apple cider


Fill Crock-pot 3/4 full with peeled, cored and sliced apples. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Cover and cook on low setting overnight or until the butter is of a thick, spreadable consistency.


If apple butter has too much liquid, remove lid and cook on high until thickened. Stir often as butter thickens to prevent scorching.


Mash Apple Butter until chunky or smooth with hand held masher or blender
Store in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.
Put in jars with water bath processing also.

No comments:

Post a Comment