..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

9/18/13

Navy Bean and Ham Soup

Growing up, my momma would have called this poor people food- even though we were pretty much poor people. The irony is great. This needs to be served with golden cornbread and some pepper sauce or Tabasco.
 

Ingredients:  
1 lb dry navy beans, washed & picked through    

1 cup cubed smoked ham
½ cup yellow onion, chopped   

½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper        

1 bay leaf
water   

Place beans in large pot. Cover beans with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Turn the temperature down and place a lid on the pot (if you have a ham bone add it in now). The beans should cook at a soft boil. Check and stir from time to time and make sure the beans have 2" - 2 1/2" of water covering beans. Add more water if necessary.


When beans are getting a little tender add the onions and ham. Replace the lid and simmer until soup is completely cooked. Add salt and pepper when ham, onions, and beans have cooked for 1/2 hour. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Seasoning depends on the salt content of the ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment