..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

9/18/13

Slow Roasted Lemon Pepper Chicken

I get asked quite a lot why I cook my chickens breast down. I do this because the white meat gets just as juicy as the dark meat does. For me the golden skin is less important than the meat being juicy.

Ingredients:  
1 (4-4 ½ lb) whole chicken   
1 onion, quartered
½ teaspoon salt   
¼ teaspoon pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced   
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup chicken broth   
juice of one lemon
1/8 teaspoon sage  
zest from one lemon
1/4 teaspoon paprika   

350°. In a small bowl, salt, pepper, paprika, lemon zest and sage. Remove the giblets from chicken and place in the bottom of a shallow roasting pan alongside the onion and garlic. Add the broth and lemon juice. Loosen the skin of the chicken and pat the rub gently in. Stuff the remaining lemon in the chicken cavity. Place the chicken, breasts down, with the wings tucked under over the giblets and sprinkle with the oil. Bake covered for 1 hour, then uncovered for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment