..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

6/2/13

Chamomile Tincture

I am a raging insomniac. At least 4 days a week I can't sleep at night between nighttime allergies, restless leg syndrome, fibro, the dogs being cranky, my idiot neighbors or some random thing. For 7 years I had to take sleeping pills to get more than two hours of rest. Now I can sleep (during the day) for three to four hours a shot. Wellness Mama has put up this recipe that is not only great for adults, if the booze is allowed to burn off is great for teething infants and colic and a general calmative.

Ingredients
1/2 to 1 cup of fresh or freshly dried chamomile flowers
approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups boiling water
approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups vodka or rum
quart size glass jar with airtight lid

Put fresh or dried Chamomile flowers in clean quart size glass jar. Pour boiling water over flowers to just cover them (may have to stir). Fill the rest of the jar with vodka or rum (do not use rubbing alcohol or non-consumable alcohol!) and tightly cover with airtight lid.

Store in a cool, dark place and shake daily for 4-6 weeks. This will make a strong tincture!  After 4-6 weeks, remove from cabinet, and pour through a cheesecloth or strainer. Store in a jar or in tincture vials for easy use.

Normal dose for adults is up to 1 tsp 1-3 times a day as needed. For infants, only a few drops are needed, and often it can be rubbed on the gums or stomach for teething or colic pain. For toddlers and older children 1/4 to 1/2 tsp can be taken 1-3 times a day while needed. It is especially useful for babies and young children who are having difficulty sleeping. A dose right before bedtime can help relax and sooth them for more peaceful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment