..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

6/2/13

Homemade Cream Soda

My youngest Jack adores cream soda. This is much better than what you get in a 2 liter at Wal*Mart.

Ingredients
2 cups cane sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
Ice cubes, for serving
Seltzer water, for serving

Place sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until sugar is caramelized. Carefully add 2 cups water and lemon juice; add vanilla bean and seeds and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.

Discard vanilla bean and transfer syrup to an airtight container. Syrup may be kept, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks. To serve, fill a 16-ounce glass with ice cubes and add 1 1/2 ounces syrup; top with seltzer and stir to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment