..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

6/1/13

Rose Petal Wine

Yet another pretty wine that I'd love to get a chance to make. It seems like it'd be so light and aromatic.

Ingredients
16 cups rose petals
1 gallon water
3 orange rinds, chopped
3 ½ lbs sugar
5 whole cloves
5 pepper corns
1 package yeast
2 cups orange juice

Combine petals, orange rinds and sugar in a large pot. Boil water in a separate container and pour over petal mixture. Bring to a simmer for 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

Add prepared yeast (Follow directions for proofing yeast, which may recommend dissolving in warm, not hot, water.) Add orange juice and spices. Cover and set aside for three weeks to a month in a dark place to ferment.

Strain and decant into sterilized jars. Let wine season for three months or so before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment