..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

6/2/13

Grand Marnier

Crepes Suzette Here I come! Ohh, I love this stuff on ice cream or on fresh berries. It'll be even better if I make it myself.

Ingredients
 6-8 Oranges, unsprayed or organic
1 Liter Brandy
1 cup water
2 cups sugar

Peel oranges into long strips using a vegetable peeler, taking only the rind and none of the white pith. If some of the white pith is on the peels, use a paring knife to trim it away and discard. Place Orange peels into a 2 quart glass jar, pour in brandy and stir gently. Cover jar and store in a cool dry place for 4 weeks, stirring once a week.

After brandy mixture has been stored for 4 weeks, stir together water and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, until sugar is completely dissolved. Let sugar mixture cool completely. In a fine mesh sieve strain orange peels out of the brandy mixture and discard peels. Stir in sugar syrup into the brandy. Line the strainer with a coffee filter and pour the Grand Marnier through the filter. Once all of the mixture has filtered through replace with a new filter and strain again. Repeat this process 2-4 more times until Grand Marnier is clear. Transfer the Grand Marnier to bottles and refrigerate before serving.

Store in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 1 year. In addition to prep/active time please allow 4 weeks for mixture to process

No comments:

Post a Comment