..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

5/29/13

Canned Dill Green Beans

I've just started canning. It's a wonderful idea for people who want to control what is in their canned foods. My problem thus far is what to do about flavorings. These green beans are full of flavor.

Ingredients:
2 lbs tender green beans - stringless type
2 cups water
2 cups white distilled vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons pickling salt or to taste
1/3 cup sugar
2 bay leaves
2 small onions - peeled and thinly sliced
8 red hot peppers
8 cloves garlic, peeled
8 sprigs fresh dill

Wash beans and snip off ends. Discard any that are wilted or discolored. In a saucepan combine water, vinegar, pickling salt, sugar, bay leaves, and onions. Bring liquid to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drop beans into boiling water and cook for just 5 minutes. They must still be crisp. Drain immediately and rinse in cold water.

Pack beans upright in 8-ounce jars with a couple of slices of onion. Add 1 hot pepper, 1 clove garlic,
and a sprig of dill to each jar and pour hot vinegar mixture over the beans to overflowing. Seal immediately.

Makes eight 8-ounce jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment