..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

5/31/13

Straw and Hay

If you're looking for a very light and beautiful pasta dish, this is what I turn to. The noodles truly get to shine instead of an overpowering sauce.




Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter   
2 ¾ cup milk
1 small yellow onion, chopped   
1 tablespoon cornstarch
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 ½ c)   
½ cup frozen baby peas, thawed
8 oz. egg fettuccine   
8 oz. spinach fettuccine
4 oz. thinly sliced ham   
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup grated parmesan cheese   
pignoli nuts (optional)

Melt butter over medium-high heat in a skillet. Add in the onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and sauté until the ‘shrooms are soft: set aside. Cook the pasta in a separate pot until firm and drain and pat dry.

Whisk the milk and cornstarch together, then add to the skillet along with the peas, ham and pepper. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil (do not scorch the milk). Lower the heat to simmer and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Fold in the fettuccine and cheese and heat for 1 minute to cook through.

No comments:

Post a Comment