..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

5/30/13

Vanilla Extract Two Ways

Vanilla extract is used in so man dishes. If you're like me, you won't use imitation extract. And if you're like me, that tiny bottle from the supermarket doesn't last long. However, vanilla extract can be made with either vodka or burbon an the tastes are decidedly different.

The first vanilla extract is vodka based. The recipe is Ina Garten of the Barefoot Contessa.

Vodka Based Extract
12 vanilla beans
1 bottle vodka

Combine the vanilla beans and vodka in a jar tall enough to hold the vanilla beans. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for at least a month until the vodka becomes vanilla extract and the beans are soft enough to cut the end and squeeze the seeds out. Add more vanilla or beans, as needed. The extract can sit at room temperature indefinitely.

Burbon Based Extract
32 vanilla beans
1/2 gallon of bourbon

Split the vanilla beans in half, lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds. Put the seeds and beans in a clean half gallon jar and pour in the 1/2 gallon of bourbon. Cover the jar, then shake it gently. Put the jar in a dark cupboard. Shake it up every few days. Ready for use after 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment