..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

5/31/13

Elderberry Cold/Flu Syrup

When I was little my grandfather worked for Savage Labs and they made Elderberry Syrup. A pharmaceutical company! They went out of business, so now you have to make your own. Thank you Joanie and Alicia at The Soft Landing for this.

Ingredients
2/3 cup dried black elderberries
3 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons of fresh ginger (peeled and sliced)
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon of clove powder
1 cup of raw, local honey

Add first 5 ingredients (everything except honey) to a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Let simmer for 3- 4 hours to reduce by nearly half, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and strain liquid to remove elderberries and ginger, discard or compost. Once completely cooled, add honey and mix well. Store in air tight container and keep refrigerated (the syrup lasts about a month when refrigerated).

The standard dosage is 1/2 to 1 teaspoon for kids daily and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon for adults daily for prevention of cold and flu during the toughest part of the season.  If the flu strikes, take the normal dosage every 2 to 3 hours until symptoms disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment