..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

5/29/13

Gastrointestinal Blackberry Tea

Blackberry leaf is a very diverse herb with many uses. In this instance it is used to soothe stomach upset, diarrhea and intestinal cramping. There are two versions of this recipe: a light and a heavy or a tea and a decoction. Choose depending on the severity of your symptoms. Please remember that I am not a doctor and cannot dispense medical advice for others. I only list the recipes that I use in my own home. Please note that peppermint cannot be given to small children as it can have the opposite reaction due to the menthol.

Ingredients:
1 ounce blackberry leaves
1 ounce raspberry leaves
1 ounce chamomile flowers
1 ounce peppermint leaves

Prepare this mixture and boil a handful in 1 quart of water until about half of water has boiled off. This herbal tea mixture will combat intestinal gas and mild diarrhea. This tea warms the stomach and soothes intestinal inflammation.

For a stronger decoction continue to cook down the recipe until the liquid reduces by half. Drink 2-3 small cups daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment