..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

5/30/13

Liquid Multivitamin Tincture

I found this on accident today and thought it was good to pass on. I'm always out of energy. If it'll do you good, here you go! Thank you Wellness Mama!

Ingredients
Alfalfa
Red Raspberry Leaf
Dandelion Leaf
Stevia (optional-for taste)

I chose these specific herbs for a reason…

Alfalfa is often called “nature’s multivitamin” for its high concentration of many vitamins and minerals. Most notably, it contains eight essential amino acids, Vitamin K and has the highest chlorophyll content of any plant.

Red Raspberry Leaf is one of my favorite herbs, and I take it during the latter half of my pregnancies. It contains B-Vitamins, Vitamins C, E and A, as well as calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus. It is a favorite for pregnant women for its ability to tone the uterus and make labor easier (and I wonder if this is due to its magnesium content, as magnesium was extremely helpful to me during pregnancy).

Dandelion leaf is also very high in vitamins and minerals, especially calcium. It is the same type of dandelion that grows as a weed in your backyard, and its root, leaves and even flowers can be used in many ways! Dandelion leaf is said to be great for the digestive system, liver, pancreas gall-bladder and circulatory system.

Stevia is simply used for taste, and I’ve also used peppermint leaf in the past for the kids, but prefer not to use large amount of this during pregnancy or in very small children, so I usually leave it out of the multivitamin tincture.

Supplies
clean glass jar (at least pint size) with lid
consumable alcohol like vodka or rum (at least 80 proof) or food grade vegetable glycerine
herbs of choice

Alcohol Tincture:
I mix in whatever quantity needed, usually 1 part=1/4 cup -or by weight 1 part=1 ounce.

Fill the jar 1/3 to 1/2 full with dried herbs. Filling half full will make a stronger tincture. Do not pack down. Pour boiling water to just dampen all of the herbs. Fill the rest of the jar with alcohol and stir with a clean spoon.

Put the lid on the jar. Store the jar in a cool/dry place, shaking daily, for at least three weeks and up to six months. (I usually leave herbs for six weeks). Strain through cheesecloth and compost the herbs. Store the tincture in colored dropper bottles or clean glass jars.

NOTE: The alcohol can be evaporated before use by adding it to a hot liquid.

Glycerine Tincture
Fill the jar 1/3 to 1/2 full with dried herbs. Filling half full will make a stronger tincture. Do not pack down. Pour boiling water to just dampen all of the herbs. (This step is optional but helps to draw out the beneficial properties of the herbs). Fill the rest of the jar (or the entire jar if not using hot water too) with glycerine and stir with a clean spoon. Put the lid on the jar.

Place a wash cloth or silicon baking mat (to keep jar from breaking) in the bottom of a crock pot with a “keep warm” or very low setting. Fill the crock pot up with water to cover 3/4 of the jar (don’t cover the lid!) and turn on the lowest setting.

Keep in slow-cooker/crock pot for at least 1 day on this setting, adding water as needed (I’ve done up to three days). Let cool, strain and use as a regular tincture.

Note: Glycerine tinctures are sweeter and not considered as strong as alcohol tinctures! Be careful when buying glycerine to make sure that it is food grade and not made from Corn (often GMO!)

How Much to Take?

The standard adult dose we take is  1 teaspoon up to three times a day as needed (or 1 tablespoon in the morning). Kids usually get 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment