..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/7/13

Bisquick Mix from Scratch

It's much more economical to make this in bulk and keep it sealed than buy a little yellow box twice a week. It also freezes easily if you have the room. This doesn't keep as long as store brand Bisquick because it doesn't have preservatives. You use it the same way that you would the box mix.

Ingredients:
6 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening

Sift flour, baking powder and salt three times into a large bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Store mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment