..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/17/13

Infused Herbal Butters

Since I do a lot of make ahead and freeze in vaccum sealed bags, I like to add my flavorings in so I can cheat and boil quickly if need be. Infusing herbs into butter only takes a few minutes, but it is so tasty.  Herbal butters are decadent on steamed vegetables, warm dinner rolls, grilled fish, baked potatoes, pasta dishes, or when incorporated into sautés and sauces.

Ingredients: 
Butter
Organic herbs, fresh or dried

Simply place the butter in a bowl, allow it to soften, add dried herbs or spices, and blend together.  If using fresh herbs, chop and then blend with the butter.  The amount used will depend on how flavorful the herbs are, but a typical amount is 2-4 TBSP of fresh herbs or 1 TBSP dried herbs per ½ cup (1 stick) of butter. The butter will taste delicious right away, but will improve if the flavors are allowed to develop for 24 hours in the refrigerator before using.  Store extra herb butter in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment