..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/19/13

Cheddar, Beer and Ham Soup

It may sound like an odd mix, but I adore this soup. I also typically make a lot of Bob and Doug Mackenzie jokes while making it. It doesn't have a strong flavor. It's very mellow. Adjust the cheese ratio if you want a stronger flavor.

Ingredients:
2 cups thinly sliced carrots   
1 ½ cups diced thinly sliced celery
1 cup butter   
½ cup all purpose flour
56 oz. chicken stock   
8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups heavy cream   
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dry mustard    
1 cup dark flat beer
16 oz diced ham   
2 cups diced raw scallions
salt and pepper to taste   

Sauté carrots and celery in butter until tender. Add flour slowly to the mix and whisk frequently for 6 minutes. Add stock while stirring slowly and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove soup from heat and whisk in cheese a small amount at a time until it’s smooth. Blend in cream, worcestershire, mustard and beer. Add ham and raw scallions just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment