..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/20/13

Cold and Flu Tea

When you’re huddled at home nursing a cold or flu, a warm cup of herb tea is comfort in itself. An advantage to drinking tea is that the liquid thins congestion and flushes out toxins. Drinking two to three cups of the following tea, nice and hot, will make you sweat and lower a fever. If possible, tuck yourself into a warm bed afterwards.

Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon Yarrow flowers
1/2 teaspoon Elder flowers
1/2 teaspoon Peppermint leaves
1/2 teaspoon Echinacea root
1/2 teaspoon Schisandra berries
3 cups boiling water

Combine the herbs in a teapot and pour the boiling water over them. Steep for at least 20 minutes.  Strain and drink throughout the day. You can make a double batch and keep it in the refrigerator, just be sure to warm it before drinking.

Cold and Flu Tea recipes reprinted with permission from The Herb Companion magazine, a division of Ogden publications. Recipes written by Kathi Keville. Kathi Keville is the author of eleven books, including Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art and Herbs for Health and Healing. She teaches herb and aromatherapy seminars throughout the United States and is director of the American Herb Association (www.ahaherb.com). 

No comments:

Post a Comment