..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/11/13

Slow Cooker Mushroom Stuffing

I rarely stuff my birds as I've only made two turkeys in my entire life. I cook the stuffing in a crockpot and let it cook for several hours while I do everything else.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
2 cups finely diced yellow onion
2 cups finely diced celery
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
12 ounces baby portabello mushrooms, diced
12 cups dried bread crumbs
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 1/2+ cups chicken stock
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter in a saucepan and sautee onion, celery and mushrooms until tender. Mix all ingredients in a medium sized crock pot and cover. Cook on high for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 4 to 8 hours. If the stuffing gets too dry, add more stock a little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment