..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/16/13

Deep Fried Biscuit Bites

Okay, this certainly isn't diet worth, but they're so good.

Ingredients:
1 C All Purpose Flour   
1 T Sugar
1 C Water   
½ t Salt
½ C Butter   
5 Eggs
1 t Grated Lemon Peel or Zest   
Confectioners Sugar
Lots of Vegetable Oil    

In a small mixing bowl combine flour, sugar and salt; set aside. In medium saucepan heat the water and butter to boiling. Add the flour mixture in all at once, stirring vigorously until the mixture leaves the side of the pan in a smooth compact ball. Remove from heat.

Place the ball mixture in a large bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg until the batter is smooth and glossy. Add in the peel and mix well.

In a deep fryer (350 °) or a heavy saucepan with 3-4 inches of hot oil, drop the dough by the teaspoonfuls. Turn the dough occasionally so the balls will puff. Fry for 5 minutes or until light golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and drench in powdered sugar before it cools.

***These are best eaten when they’re hot or accompanied by real maple syrup. If you eat too many too fast you get a really bad sugar rush, but it’s worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment