..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/14/13

Country Chicken and Broccoli Shortcake

This is a fun little recipe that includes two of my favorite staples: wonderful fluffy biscuits and creamy, savory sauces.

Ingredients:
Baked country-style biscuits   
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1” pieces   
salt & pepper
1/4 cup finely sliced ham
4 scallions cut into 1" lengths   
2 cups small broccoli florets
1 medium carrot thinly sliced   
1 tablespoon of freshly chopped thyme leaves
pinch Cayenne pepper   
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup heavy cream   

In a large skillet, melt the butter, and add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium high heat until golden brown - about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the ham to skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Add the scallions, carrots and broccoli, and cook over low heat for three minutes.

Return the chicken to the skillet, and add the thyme leaves, cayenne, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat and stir for one minute. Add the sherry and simmer until almost evaporated - about 2 minutes. Add the cream and simmer until thickened - about 5 minutes. Check seasonings (add more salt and pepper if necessary).

Split the pre-baked biscuits, and set 2 bottoms on each plate. Spoon the chicken mixture over the biscuits. Top with the top of the biscuits and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment