..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/18/13

Deep Chest and Throat Congestion Decoction

There is not much that you can do to make me take flu medicine. I dry up. I get dizzy. I get worse after taking it most of the time. Instead I'd rather fish around in my cabinets and come up with food based medicines to help. Please remember that I am not a doctor and do not dispense medical advice.

Ingredients:
4 “finger sized” pieces of Osha root
 2 - 4 Licorice root sticks
 1/2 oz Elecampane root
 1/2 oz Wild Cherry Bark
 1 tablespoon Horehound
 3 or 4 sprigs of Thyme or 1 tsp dried
 zest and juice from one lemon
 3 or 4 inches of fresh Ginger root sliced, or 2 tsp of dried Ginger root
 4 cups water
 1 1/2 – 2 cup raw local honey

Combine all ingredients, except the honey, with the water and allow to soak at room temperature for several hours.

Next, gently simmer all ingredients – except the honey – together until the liquid is reduced by half.  Strain and press as much liquid as possible from the herbs.  Measure the decocted liquid and add an equal portion of honey while the liquid is still warm. Store in a sealed glass jar or bottle in the refrigerator and use as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment