..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/11/13

Chocolate Liquer

So my dad went through a period of making booze in the bathtub. I'd like to think that I am a few steps above that, but not too far.

Ingredients:
1 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate  
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
9 1/2 tablespoons sugar  
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vodka   

Add chocolate to a heat-proof bowl; add on top of a small sauce pan filled with 2 inches of water; bring to a slow boil. Add sugar, water; stir until chocolate is melted. With a mesh strainer, strain into a glass container; allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add vodka and stir.

Line a clean mesh strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth. Strain mixture again into a glass jar with lid. Using a spoon, push chocolate granules to the side, allowing the liquid to easily drain into the container.

Allow to cool completely at room temperature. Add vanilla and shake. Store at room temperature for at least 2 days before using. Shake before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment