..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/7/13

Stefani's Clam Chowder

My stepmom made this for me as a birthday dinner when I was 12 or 13. I forget. Anyhow, it stuck with me. Gluten free changes are in purple.

Ingredients:
4 slices bacon, crisp & diced   
3 (6 ½ oz.) chopped clams (do not discard juice)
5 tablespoons butter, divided   
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped celery   
2 green onions, diced
2 cup diced potatoes   
3 tablespoon flour or cornstarch
2 cup milk   
2 cup half & half
½ teaspoon salt   
1/4 teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon paprika   

Sauté bacon, clam ‘juice’, 3 tablespoons of butter, celery, potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.  Simmer for 15 minutes.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and combine with flour over medium heat in a saucepan until lightly browned (for cornstarch add to a little bit of water until it forms a slurry and then add) and milk and mix until smooth. Combine with remaining ingredients and stir into the vegetable mix. Stir constantly until thickened over medium heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment