..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/7/13

British Whiskey Chicken

When I think of this recipe, I think of the big game hunters in Africa with their safari hats and big white mustaches sitting around drinking tea with their pet cheetahs. Gluten free adjustments in purple.

3 lb fryer chicken cut up   
2 T butter
1 cup and two tablespoons whiskey, (divided)   
3 cup sliced mushrooms
¼ cup sliced leeks or green onions   
½ cup light cream or milk
2 tablespoons flour or rice flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice   
salt & pepper

Rinse the chicken pieces; pat dry with paper toweling. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In skillet brown chicken in butter 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Add the 1 cup whiskey to skillet; cover and simmer 30 to 35 min or till chicken is tender. Remove chicken to serving platter and keep warm.
    
For sauce: 
Skim fat from pan juices. Add enough water to juices, if necessary, to measure 2/3 c liquid. Return to skillet. Stir in mushrooms and green onions. Cook and stir just until onions are tender. Combine cream and flour; add to mixture in skillet. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Cook and stir one minute more. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and the 2 t whiskey. Spoon over chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment