..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/13/13

Gnocci

Homemade potato pasta. If you've never had gnocci, it can be used almost the same way as you would pasta or pierogis. It's great in soups, creamy sauces, pesto, fried onions and mozzarella or tomato sauces. I've even had it under pot roast and gravy. Gluten free notes are in purple.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups riced potatoes   
2 cups all purpose flour or 2 cups rice flour   
1 1/2 eggs, beaten   
Water and salt for boiling

Mix all ingredients together by hand; knead until it forms a ball. Roll a piece out into a rope, approximately 1/2" wide, and as long as you desire. Cut the rope into 1/2 - 3/4" pieces and roll each piece onto the top of tongs of a regular dinner fork. Rolling about 3/4 way around is sufficient. This creates a nice decorative pattern.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add the gnocchi and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes or until they float to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment