..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/13/13

Rice Flour

For my gluten free friends, rice flour is a really easy to make flour. The only difference between the store bought kind and this kind is a slightly rougher texture. To counteract the grittiness, allow mixture to sit for 20 minutes to absorb moisture before baking.

Ingredients:
1 cup white rice
2 cups filtered water

Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with parchment paper. Soak the rice in filtered water for 4 hours or until it is soft when squeezed. Drain the water out, leaving a couple of tablespoons. Place the rice and the little bit of the water in a blender and mix until it is a white paste. Pour the ground rice onto the parchment paper and allow to dry for about 24 hours. Once it is the consistency of dry chocolate, break it up into pieces by hand, grind it into a powder by hand, in a dry blender or food processor.
Spread it out onto the parchment paper and leave out until completely dry and store in an air-tight container in your refrigerator. If you leave it out it will mold quickly

No comments:

Post a Comment