..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/12/13

Puerto Rican Red Beans and Rice

I love some good red beans and rice. I'm not too fond of Louisiana-style red beans, but give me some good Latin red beans: I'm set.

Ingredients:
1 pound large dried red kidney beans
kosher salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound pork belly, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups cooked white rice

Place beans in a large bowl and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cover with cold water by 6 inches and allow to sit at room temperature overnight. If using a pressure cooker, this step can be skipped.
The next day, drain beans and set aside. Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or pressure cooker over high heat until shimmering. Add pork belly and cook, stirring occasionally, until well-browned and crisped on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Add tomatoes and onions and cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 3 minutes.

Add beans, sugar, and 1 tablespoon salt. Cover with water by 2 to 3 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally and adding water as necessary, until beans are completely softened and liquid is thickened but still soupy, about 3 hours. (If using a pressure cooker, cook on high pressure until beans are tender, about 45 minutes).

Season beans to taste with more salt and sugar and serve with cooked rice, avocado, plantains, fried eggs or steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment