..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/9/13

German Butter Pound Cake

This is a rich, buttery pound cake that is adapted from the Taste of Home Magazine. 

Ingredients: 
6 eggs, separated
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons 2% milk
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Generously grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and extracts. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder & salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.

With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.

Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment