..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/10/13

Chicken and Dumplings

This is a go to meal for my family when one of the kids are sick and want feel better food. 

Ingredients:
½ cup chopped onion   
½ cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced   
¼ cup of butter
½ cup all purpose flour   
2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt   
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon pepper   
4 cups chicken broth
1 pkg frozen green peas   
2 cups cubed chicken, cooked
1 bay leaf   
1/8 teaspoon sage

Dumplings:   
2 cups bisquik or pancake mix   
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2/3 cup milk   

350°. Sauté onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, pepper, sage and broth then bring to a boil. Add peas and bay leaf and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken then pour into a greased 12” x 9” by 2” pan.

In a separate bowl combine all dumpling ingredients and drop by tablespoonfuls onto casserole top. Bake for 30 minutes then cover and bake for 10 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment