..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/5/13

Luke's Cheddar & Herb Biscuits

A dense and flaky baking powder biscuit with the tang of sharp cheddar and a medley of savory herbs. My oldest son decided that he liked them so much that he ate six: a compliment for sure from such a picky eater.

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed finely
 pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
Extra flour for coating your rolling surface

Preheat  your oven to 425°F. 

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cream, cayenne pepper, chives, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, basil and rosemary. Cut in softened butter with a fork or a pastry cutter until it is the size of small peas. Add milk and half and half then mix thoroughly until no loose flour is in the bottom of the bowl.Add cheese an mix well.

Prepare your surface for rolling out the dough by either laying down a pastry mat or using a sheet of wax paper. Powder the surface lightly, as well as the tube of your rolling pin. Upend your dough onto the prepared surface and  roll out into 3/4" thickness. Cut into circles (I use a mason jar lid) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. 

Bake for 10 minutes or just until the bottom of the biscuits are golden. Remove from from cookie sheet immediately to cool on a baking rack to prevent scorching. Brush with melted butter and remaining garlic powder. 

Yields 12

**To prevent burning I use a silpat over the cookie sheet.



No comments:

Post a Comment