..And a hug around the neck

I've started a movement in my house to step away from convenience food, fast food, processed food and bring the food that goes into my family back to the beginning of where it should be prepared: in my kitchen. It isn't always easy- especially in this rush rush world- but I can control what goes into the food, which keeps my family healthier. I share my recipes with you, so that you, too, can benefit from what I've learned.

4/21/13

Dashi

It's kind of like a Japanese stir fry using root vegetables and a very thin, sweet sauce.

 Ingredients:
1/2 lb thinly sliced beef loin cut into 1 ½” pieces   
4 potatoes, cut into quarters
1 onion, cut into wedges
1/4 lb carrots, cut into bite size chunks   
1/2 package shirataki noodles
2 1/2 C dashi soup   
2 T mirin
2 T sugar   
4 T soy sauce
1 T of vegetable oil   

Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a deep pot and saute beef quickly on high heat. Add onion, carrot, potato, and shirataki in the pan and saute together. Pour stock in and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface. Simmer until potatoes are softened. Add sugar and mirin and put a drop-lid. Simmer for about 5 minutes and add soy sauce. Simmer until the liquid are almost gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment